A few excerpts from Jubilee and Debt in the USA Economy by By Lee Warren, B.A., D.D… . A popular common sense Christian analysis of jubilee and our current world debt situation, though a bit dated as it was written in 1997. What I like about this article is that unlike many Christian writers, Lee does not see jubilee as an impractical spiritual ideal or push it off to someday far in the future, in the “sweet bye and bye, when we meet on that beautiful shore”, as it has been reported that “Jesus will proclaim a Jubilee when He returns”. The writer recognizes that the jubilee is multi-faceted, and applies to our real world economics, that cancellation of debt, is needed, NOW, in our time.
Some points addressed in this article:
1. Market shocks are occurring but they are not the whole story.
2. The debt bomb is a bigger story than the market corrections.
3. The United States is the world’s largest debtor, with debts that will never be paid back. American politicians are not addressing the debt, but fiddling, like Nero did when Rome burned.
4. Yahweh taught Israel to manage debt with the Jubilee cycle.
5. Jubilee is about freedom and grace.
6. We have entered a Sabbath millenium, the Seventh Millenium is upon us, a period in which many are looking for the end of the world. It will usher in quite a few revolutionary changes.
6. Some form of jubilee is required to prevent revolution, war and economic depression.